I don't think it comes as any surprise to those who know me that I love Jenny Crusie. Recently, I went to the Australian Romance Writer's conference (really not a happy time for me), but I went for Jennifer Crusie's lectures and the woman was all I'd hoped for. So this week for TT, I'm dragging from my copious notes 13 things about JC to amuse and inspire (together with my own comments from the peanut gallery). I hope you enjoy them as much as I did, though you really do need to see her in action for a full effect. If you get a chance to hear her speak, grab it!
1. "Your subconscious is so much smarter than you are."
So um, I'm smarter when unconscious. Somebody punch me.
2. "It's when you go to hell that you find the stuff that makes your book great."
Coz the devil has all the good plot lines and whispers them in your ear.
3. "You are a story teller.... You are the hero of your community."
And we know how everyone likes to torture the hero.
4. "There is no generic boinking."
But if you take off the maid costume you can have no frills boinking. Not the same of course.
5. "Violence always has an aftermath -- a physical and emotional reaction."
Not to mention blood.
6. "You are so much smarter than you think you are."
I must be so freaking brilliant...
7. "Tell Me Lies" was the book of her heart. If she could write another book like that, she would.
And so would I. :-)
8. She is currently agent shopping, though her last agent, Nancy Yost, remains a close friend.
and that's just inspiring!
9. She is currently writing another collaboration, "Always Kiss Me Goodnight," which is her first ghost story.
leaving the old dog comment alone. She might clunk me with a bone.
10. "Stay in the moment."
I am. I think the moment was about 6 years ago, but I'm still there.
11. "If you use a prologue, you will go to hell."
Is that what did it????
12. In "Agnes and the Hitman" she uses the kitchen as a motif, a symbol of warm, loving family.
whereas my kitchen is a symbol of slovenly housekeeping
13. "This isn't a business, it's a casino."
so when the chips are down, you might just win!!! :-) Lay your bets, ladies.